1. Welcome to the Soccer Spirits Forum! We're dedicated to creating the best community in Soccer Spirits, where you can get help about your team, units, or share general tactics! So why not join us ? Or, you can login with facebook. Registering will also disable ads!

Ardor Somewhat In-Depth Guide to Jean (Edit:16.07.15)

Discussion in 'Unit Discussion' started by rengeki7, May 30, 2015.

1. rengeki7

rengeki7 Nep-Nep^^

IGN/ID:
    rengeki7
    Club:
    Academy
    As per request I'm going to talk a little in-depth about my experience regarding Jean here, though I'll refrain from posting any highly mathematical stuff ;O

I have been testing out several teamcompositions with Jean for quite a while now, but my Jean is actually pretty weak, because I've yet to own a single 6* ardor dribble stone...

However, now that I've managed to fullspu my Jean there're some things that either changed or became more prominent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    His ardor, thunder and dark stone slots greatly contribute him, enabling him to use e.g. Teranox, Glabaris and Encompassing Soul. Building him like a pure glasscannon is what I'd recommend, lots of dribble, crit, crit dmg and pen power.

With the buff to Teranox, it is now definitely become the best stone you could hope to put onto your Jean.

Skills

Active [Silent Madness III]
    [Long-range Shoot]
    Increases the Attack Power by 60% and critical rate by 50%

- note the 18min cooldown which makes it only possible to use the active thrice per game, but will most likely only be activated twice​

Trance
    Increases the Attack Power and Critical Damage by 30% for 8 min with an action (Accumulates up to 3 times)

- IMHO his best passive; each stack counts!
    - loses all Trance-stacks when he gets KO'ed​

Second Wind II
    Increases the Attack Power by 5% per min

- very nice to have, but not as useful as it may look
    - does not lose any Second Wind II stacks when he gets KO'ed!
    - offers a maximum increase of up to 5*44=220% Attack Power​

Assurance
    Increases the critical rate by 50% with a shoot

- worse than Extreme, but still decent​

Skillorder: Active>Trance>Second Wind II>Assurance

Why you WOULD NOT want to use Jean

The thing about Jean is that he's very unique and thus doesn't fit very well into most teams. Due to his lack of utility apart from his active you will most likely find yourself building your entire team around him instead of him benefitting your team when you do not.

As/For a leader he has relatively low reflex. Thus you should consider running some reflex totems alongside him, else he'll get counterattacked a lot like most attackers.

All his Trance stacks will be lost when he gets KO'ed (like with all other buffs of this kind). Also they only last 8 Minutes, making it very hard to stack them in Auto-Mode.

He also lacks crit when he does not have his active, which costs 2 Spirit bars and does hurt most teams a lot. So you'd now want someone who gives crit, spirit and the already above mentioned reflex.

As you can see Jean requires a lot and I really mean A LOT of assistance and a proper set-up to be useful, otherwise you would definitely be better off with any other attacker!

Why you WOULD want to use Jean

Jean is the best player with a long-range shoot active in the game right now! And he's fun I know that considering there are only 3 of them in the game this doesn't mean much, but it is in fact the arguably best reason why you would want to have him in your team. The arguably second best reason to use him would be for his ace. And he looks cool

Being a leader, Jean will pretty much always penetrate/steal when either he's at full health or the enemy's health is roughly the same as or lower than his. This is actually where most leaders become pretty useless as they'll only go on to block until somehow the enemy's health gets lowered to where their own is. Jean, however will just use his active, if you have enough spirit, and is thus able to deal with this problem himself, bringing the ball up at the same time.

When penetrating (if he doesn't get stolen from) his damage is pretty much off the charts depending on how many Trance-stacks you gained, even being able to surpass the likes of Hildegard, Duke and Enthia in damage.

Contrary to before with less spus, later in the game when Jean's passives racked up a bit he also becomes a decent ballholder, able to hold his own.

He scales very very well and gets exponentially stronger the more you invest in him due to Trance and Second Wind II.

How is Jean in the current PvP?

In the current meta which was paved by the new weather system, everything is about high reflexes. Matches also tend to end a lot faster than before due to less healing making every bit of damage much more lethal.

This is, at the same time, good and bad for Jean: Due to his active he will definitely become an extra damage source for you, which he will eventually get to use if the match somehow drags on, but at the same time his Second Wind II passive will become that much more useless as you won't be able to accumulate too many stacks.

And even though, with how often you encounter Mikael and Metatron these days, his Chains are also pretty nice if you have the players to activate them, I just feel like Jean somehow does not fit into the current meta right now..

..well, it's not like that would stop me from using him though.. :p

How I use Jean

After having tried out many things, I am currently using Milky-Kevin-Jean in mid while having Milky as my ace. Even though she got nerfed, it didn't really hit her that hard and IMO Milky is still a great, if not THE best attribution to Jean: She takes care of both his reflex and spirit issues and her active even gives him crit crit and further buffs his attack-power!
    Still.... Teranox would be soooo nice :x

As this set-up probably already gives it away.. I mainly use Jean as an alternative attacker. This way I'm not too heavily reliant on his active, but there's obviously pros and cons to this ;P

If I get a better second assist I'll probably try out Jean with an assist in mid again.

Here are some some vids of my Jean "in action". All the credit goes to Cpokemon12 and Hyaz ^^

^fast forward to about 3min

Strangely, during his shoot when Jean is facing a GK with 0% crit-res... even while having much more than 100% crit-chance (due to his active) he will sometimes fail to crit which led me to believe that while breaking the line he will lose the crit he gained his active!

However, the attack-power probably remains as an increase in damage after having used an active pass is fairly noticible.

I was once able to have Jean shoot while the player across from him was KO pretty hard without Jeunese
    So I expected him to deal double the damage he usually does, because I thought it to be the same as when your typical striker is able to have a go at the GK alone.
    Well..
    Sadly, damage-wise it stayed the same..
    But maybe someone with Jeunese could give this ago once more just to be on the super safe side!

EDIT1: Big shoutout to Darkimpulse69 who made me realize that Jeans's Second Wind stacks actually do NOT evaporate when Jean gets KO'ed and I earnestly apologize for my mistake ;(
    EDIT2: Also added gatchwar's input. Thanks^^

EDIT3: All the new stuff is marked with this *

Have fun discussing/wink/

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    GQhong, Kurista, Sumire and 9 others like this.
  2. Cpokemon12

Cpokemon12 Lilith, Lia and Hildegard's Pimp

IGN/ID:
    Cart9
    Galaxy:
    Silver's the life for Lia,Lilith and Hilde
    Colosseum:
    Lia,Lilith and Hildegard backline tho
    Impressive guide and Thank you very very much for this. Also question have u tried any other mid set ups around jean That could be viable in pvp? Otherwise thx this was extremely helpful!

3. rengeki7

rengeki7 Nep-Nep^^

IGN/ID:
    rengeki7
    Club:
    Academy
    You're much welcome ;D

I just added the pvp match against Hyaz where I did try to add an assist mid instead of another totem. Sadly it did not work out that well, probably because my mid was far too weak back then and Alkyde FW just didn't cut it.. But with Silla's EE I strongly believe that things could work out pretty well. Also Elaine should be someone you should look out for as she seems to synergize pretty well with Jean also.
    But as you can imagine it was actually quite hard to pull the standard assist-shoot combo with Jean off, because I needed somewhere around 2 1/2 spirit bars with Nari for this. When it did go off though, it packed quite a punch and was fun to watch^^

Right now I'm pretty content with how I've implemented Jean into my team, but with the incoming Milky nerf I'll have to see how I'm gonna tweak things..

Something I did forget to mention though is that there are in fact matches where you will find Jean to be pretty neat, but then sometimes you will find him to be absolutely useless. I sometimes do wonder, if maybe I should just get an attacker like Lucius or Shu to replace him.. the temptations of the new Lucius and Shu's buffs are quite strong... ;/

4. gatchwar

gatchwar

Club:
    Paradox
    Galaxy:
    Galaxy
    Colosseum:
    tiny nitpick,

The cooldown of Jean's active shoot is 18 minutes which means he can use it 3 not 2 times maximum per match. Although the third time will be quite rare and requires good timing since he can use it the first time between 1-8 minutes mark of a match, again at around the 19-26 minute mark and finally a third time at the 37-44 minute mark. Then again that involves giving him the ball with 2 bars of spirit you would be willing to feed him at specific times over the course of the game... that and that the game hadn't already ended at that point... I would probably say he can get it off twice reliably and 3 times max.

oh well I don't really use my Jean, he's mostly just there to kill the gatekeeper CoD champions, he does that pretty darn well so I keep him /best/

5. rengeki7

rengeki7 Nep-Nep^^

IGN/ID:
    rengeki7
    Club:
    Academy
    Whoops, I can not even begin to fathom what I could have been thinking when I wrote that, but thanks a lot for your input, I'm gonna correct that immediately!

For PvE Jean is pretty useful against a lot of matches: the gk CoD champs as you mentioned, the rainbow eles he pretty much one shots and also some other shenanigans you could pull off, if you paired him up with an assist in mid ;D

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  6. Xand

Xand Elf in a dark elf team

IGN/ID:
    renemari
    Club:
    NekoFleetz
    Galaxy:
    noob galaxy
    I just saw video with Jean that shoot for 7000 dmg. Was so impressed that I decide to hunt for him in scout and form tunder-ardor team. Great thanx for guide, I got a lot of understanding how to use him. I wish to try Elanie, Shu, Kevin and Jean midline. Shu should be able to keep Jean alive and generate spirit. Kevin should be able to fasten line for Elaine to buff line and finally Jean who will shoot. It is theory right now, but when I will catch Jean in scout, I will test that and write results here. Just hope he will show up soon :)

7. rengeki7

rengeki7 Nep-Nep^^

IGN/ID:
    rengeki7
    Club:
    Academy
    Haha, you're welcome^^ Also, best of luck to you!
    Your idea looks like it could work, although reflex-mids might prove to be somewhat difficult for it to handle.. but still, I'm looking forward to your results ;)

8. Marlis

Marlis

IGN/ID:
    Unicum
    Galaxy:
    Gold+
    Colosseum:
    I always think of Jean as a Thunder backup shooter. If you run Blade or Leventor and you are getting piss at their WW goalie, Jean will take care of that.

Then you got Luka, Yuri and Jean mid for some ownage

9. neongiraffe

neongiraffe Jean's wifu

IGN/ID:
    형광기린
    Club:
    NEKAMA
    Galaxy:
    Platinum kyaa.
    Colosseum:
    WHOO JEAN ♡

10. Milli

Milli Collects F*ck Boys

IGN/ID:
    Milli
    Club:
    BlackMonkeyPro
    Galaxy:
    Diamond
    Colosseum:
    tbh I think they should lower Jean's active cost, but that's just my opinion.

11. rengeki7

rengeki7 Nep-Nep^^

IGN/ID:
    rengeki7
    Club:
    Academy
    I'd like that too, but it doesn't really matter to me : o

I'm probably also going to update this thread as soon as my Jean gets his last spu.

12. Bacon is fluffy

Bacon is fluffy Diamond

IGN/ID:
    lolhida (it was a throw away account OTL)
    Club:
    NoobTrap
    Galaxy:
    Doimind
    Colosseum:
    He was my referal reward I think. He's pretty cool and using that long shoot is awesome. It's just, he's very underwhelming, especially when he is defending with less than 2 spirit bars

13. Milli

Milli Collects F*ck Boys

IGN/ID:
    Milli
    Club:
    BlackMonkeyPro
    Galaxy:
    Diamond
    Colosseum:
    Just EE'd him (Sorry Jean I made you wait for so long...)
    I had him at 1SPU because I got a dupe on a random draw.

14. Discord

Discord Waiting for more neko waifus

IGN/ID:
    Discord
    Club:
    TheNekoFleet
    Galaxy:
    Diamond
    Colosseum:
    He really needs a buff imo, decreasing the active cost to 1 or 1.5 bars would be a tremendous help, or they could do something to his passives to give him more survivability. He's probably the only unit I'm genuinely upset I can't use effectively. Just too hard to care for.

15. Mira

Mira Homucifer Ψ(`▽´)Ψ

IGN/ID:
    Dexxie
    How about his performance at higher level colloseum?, is he viable to use?

16. Xand

Xand Elf in a dark elf team

IGN/ID:
    renemari
    Club:
    NekoFleetz
    Galaxy:
    noob galaxy
    Now I got 7* Jean and exelent idea for his use but there is a catch... there is always a catch right?

Idea was use Jean defline. Yuri - Nerua - Racklet asGK - Bell\elaine\maybe Jacob if they change his skill - Jean

The pros - giant amount of APower boost to Jean. He must pen line without problem and gain lot of spirit to shoot from midline after penetrating. But that tacktic fails in automode because Yuri - attacker and Jean - leader AI. I have no idea how they will act in automode because I have no Yuri. If someone willing please do some tests and tell me results. I'm afraid that Jean will pass to Yuri or she will penetrate and die or Yuri will penetrate line because she have lots of dmg and Jean will never have chance to penetrate and shoot.

The other problem, I have no idea whom to put with Jean in midline using ardors and tunders, and is it wise to use Shu on the same line as Jean? Because Shu most likely will penentrate line all the time.

17. shahryar

shahryar

IGN/ID:
    dunyazade
    @Xand- I experimented with a friend's jean and you're right, shu will penetrate most of the time. I had to let players get ko in front so jean in mid could get the ball lol. Shu's expand strategy and active will help keep jean alive/stronger though. I think an assist with spirit buff would help. putting jean next to shu also helps b/c jean is pretty paper when getting penetrated

I really want to use jean too...

18. Bacon is fluffy

Bacon is fluffy Diamond

IGN/ID:
    lolhida (it was a throw away account OTL)
    Club:
    NoobTrap
    Galaxy:
    Doimind
    Colosseum:
    Lol the day when ustiel comes to mind when thinking about jean's spirit problem, but then she'd be a bigger liability than trying to accommodate him. XD

19. Audaciter

Audaciter

IGN/ID:
    Audaciter
    Club:
    Mascots
    Galaxy:
    Galaxy
    Colosseum:
    Jean is one of the few players who can achieve 300% crit damage and he has high dribble due to his passives making that crit damage that much better. With the right stones/formation he could definitely be a really strong striker in CoD

20. Amlet

Amlet Ardor fan

Galaxy:
    Gold
    I don't use it but is he worth to superb if I draw a Jean another Jean?